Pages

Sunday 7 April 2013

In Limbo (Part 1)

So let’s take a look at that backlog, shall we? There are a few titles I’ve actually sunk significant time into already, but for various reasons I never saw them through to the end.

To begin we have Gears of War 3, which I bought not because I was particularly interested in it if I’m being honest, but because, well, I had the first two games in the series and I’d quite enjoyed them, especially in co-op. But Gears 3 was just…I gave it a couple of hours and quit. The shooting felt floaty and without impact, and it just…I don’t know, it felt tired like it was just going through the motions. On top of that, it looked horrible. I don’t know if it was just the opening levels but it seemed like someone had vomited over my screen. It was just a blurry mess of pungent yellows and sickly exploding orange. I found it offensive to my eyes. I’ve not touched it in about a year.

Next up - Guild Wars 2. I used to play World of Warcraft. Didn’t we all? I quit a few times, went back, eventually quitting for good as the game slowly transformed into something I stopped finding fun. But after a time I had that MMO itch. I tried The Old Republic during its Beta. My initial enthusiasm rapidly faded along with my intention to pre-order a copy. So that left Guild Wars 2, which a friend picked up and told me was great. Great. Well, I sunk about 40 hours into it and I must say, it was...okay. Yeah, it was all right, but one day back in October or so I just stopped playing and haven’t since. It wasn’t terrible or anything, I guess I just didn’t find it particularly special or engaging. I should really go back to it one day and see it through. I think I was about level 40 or something, so there’s still plenty to see and do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.