Pages

Saturday 17 July 2021

Steam Summer Sale: Damage Report

I picked up Skyrim VR in a previous sale but decided to refund it when I realised how terrible it was. Skyrim, obviously, was never designed for VR, but that doesn’t excuse this exceptionally poor and lazy conversion. The fact they had the audacity to charge 40 quid for this garbage at release is practically criminal. Even if they gave it away for free I’d still not recommend it.

So why did I buy it again? Mods, of course. Mods are the same reason I sunk 600 hours into the regular Skyrim and mods, once again, come to the rescue of this VR version. At the time of writing I have 60 active mods running and I’d say that’s roughly the bare minimum you’d want if you want to transform the base game into something playable and enjoyable in VR – in addition to numerous configuration tweaks.

I’m sure I’ll go into more detail when I review the game but for now I’ll just say that if you’re not willing to spend several hours modifying and tweaking Skyrim VR then just don’t bother. It’s not worth it at any price. If you are willing to put in the time and effort and you’re already a fan of the game, then you should be able to knock it into shape but it’s never going to be perfect.

Despite having a fairly small reduction in price (35%) I decided to pick up Yakuza: Like a Dragon. I loved Yakuza 0 and enjoyed Kiwami 1 & 2 a lot. But I wasn’t too interested in moving on to 3, 4, 5 or 6 because I was kind of happy with how the story wrapped up in 2. But I did want more Yakuza, and this new game with a new cast and a new style of combat looked like a fresh twist for the series and I’m looking forward to getting stuck in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.