Pages

Wednesday 27 July 2022

Steam Summer Sale: Damage Report


I actually planned on picking up God of Boy when it originally released on PC back in January, but I just didn’t have time to get stuck into it. And, at the time of writing, I still kind of don’t, but I’m hoping to get cracking on it in early August before Immortal Empires for Warhammer 3 is released. That’s the plan, anyway.

House of the Dying Sun is a space combat game with VR support that I’ve had an eye on picking up for some time and, with the price dropping to under a fiver, I figured it was worth a shot. I don’t expect it to be as substantial in terms of content, or capable of matching the production quality of the more recent (and higher budget) Star Wars: Squadrons, but I’m hoping I’ll get a good few hours of space blasting fun out of it.

I recently played and quite enjoyed Ace Combat 7 but was rather disappointed at the lack of any official VR support. It prompted me to check out various VR flight combat games, but none of them really captured that arcade style of AC. But then I discovered Project Wingman. It’s Ace Combat in all but name. An arcade flight combat game but unlike AC7 it comes with VR support and that’s how I plan to play. It may be a little rough compared to the ‘real’ AC, but if it’s even half as much fun, I know I’m going to have a good time with it in VR.

Kayak VR: Mirage is a game (kind of) in which you paddle a kayak around a handful of different environments. I don’t really know why I picked this up and I might end up playing it for just a few hours before getting kind of bored of it. Or maybe I won’t. Maybe I’ll find it relaxing and fun to just pretend paddle a kayak down a river. There is a ‘racing’ mode included, but that sounds pretty strenuous. The environmental visuals look impressive. Might be a good ‘showcase’ game for VR immersion. I guess I’ll find out. I like to pick up something odd now and then, something I wouldn’t normally play just for the hell of it.

And finally we have Into the Radius VR. There’s been quite a few VR games I’ve played that I’ve described as ‘like X game, but in VR’. I guess Project Wingman is another one of those. ‘Like Ace Combat but in VR’ although in that case, it’s only VR support, so maybe it doesn’t really count. Anyway, the point I’m trying to make is that Into the Radius VR is pretty much STALKER . . . but in VR. That’s the impression I get, based on what I’ve seen of it. And if I get that, I think I’ll be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.