Pages

Tuesday 14 November 2023

Now Playing: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

It took me some time, but I finally got around to playing The Lost Legacy, a stand-alone expansion to Uncharted 4. In The Lost Legacy you play as Chloe Frazer, a character who has appeared in previous Uncharted games – but not in 4, the only Uncharted game I’ve played. So I didn’t know the character, but the expansion does a decent enough job of establishing who she is and what’s important to her.

What did help though was the return of Nadine Ross and Sam Drake, characters I was familiar with. Nadine is your main partner throughout the expansion, with her and Chloe acting in a similar way to Nate and Sam in UC4. It worked then and it works here, with some fun banter back and forth, some co-op puzzle solving and enemy beatdowns.


The expansion is fairly short – about 8 hours if you want all of the collectibles, and even shorter if you don’t. The levels are mostly linear with some basic puzzle solving interspaced with enemy encounters. There is one ‘open’ jeep driving level similar to those in UC4 but honestly, the expansion probably didn’t need it. Traversing all those mudbanks gets a little tiresome.

Although I enjoyed the new location and architecture, The Lost Legacy does re-use a lot of assets and – more importantly – gameplay mechanics from UC4 which isn’t a surprise and certainly nothing to complain about, but it does also mean that you don’t really feel like you’re playing something new.

The story is decent but the villain isn’t terribly interesting. You’ll be slipping, sliding and swinging your way through levels just as you did in UC4. There are plenty of ledges to climb – aside from those that are scripted to break for a dramatic moment. The combat is solid and fun, just as it was in UC4.


If you liked UC4, I think it’s pretty safe to assume you’ll enjoy this too because it’s really just more of the same. Which in some ways, is a little disappointing, because maybe it would have been nice if The Lost Legacy had introduced a few new ideas or meaningful mechanics of its own. But it doesn’t.

Overall, I can’t say I didn’t enjoy my time with The Lost Legacy because it is a polished, good expansion to UC4, but I also don’t think there’s anything special or unique enough about it to make me want to replay it in the future. I am glad I played it though and if, like me, you’ve picked up the Legacy of Thieves Collection on PC, there’s really no reason not to give it a go too.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.