Pages

Wednesday 11 May 2016

Gaming Update

I thought I’d do a quick update on my upcoming plans and coverage. I was going to do a post on the Overwatch open beta this month, but then I realised I’d need to install Battle.net again and I had no end of problems the last time I used it, so I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle. I can’t say I was too fussed about the game anyhow.

I’m currently playing through Red Dead Redemption again, so expect a review soon. That should keep me busy until Total War: Warhammer releases at the end of the month. I’ve liked a lot of what I’ve seen so far, but I’ve held off on the pre-order, at least until I see more of the campaign.

I’m fairly sure my current set up should run the game on at least High settings without too much trouble, although I’m also debating if I should ‘upgrade’ to Windows 10 now rather than later. I’m leaning more towards ‘later’ at the current time – if at all.

I’m not sure what race I’ll begin with in the campaign, but I’m thinking maybe a Dwarf campaign on Very Hard. I might change my mind at the last minute though. I won’t start with a campaign, however, but a series of custom battles. These should prove a good test of my system on various settings to find the best balance between pretty and performance, whilst also getting a feel for the various races, units and magic. I’ll be recording the best of these and I’ll probably post them on YouTube during the first week or so.

I imagine Warhammer will take up much of my gaming time, which is unfortunate, because there’s a lot coming out I’m interested in playing, all around the same time. A game called Stellaris just released, which I’d like to give a spin at some point. The second Witcher 3 expansion releases just days after Warhammer and promises 30 or so hours of new content. I’m excited to play it, but it might have to wait.

Mirror’s Edge 2 has had a delay, but is still due in early June, and that’s another game I’m looking forward to, although I was pretty pissed about not getting into the beta, despite signing up for it months ago. I really don’t know why they encourage people to sign up months in advance, if they then won’t send keys out to people who did, but instead randomly shower dozens of keys over social media.

Why do a ‘closed’ beta at all if you’re going to throw keys around like confetti? I suppose it’s done to generate hype, and I probably wouldn’t be so salty about it if I’d received a key. But I didn’t. So I am.

Titanfall 2 has been announced which may be the only MP title I’m genuinely excited about. The new CoD trailer was pretty ‘bleh’. The new Battlefield looked better, mostly thanks to its WW1 setting, which some people seem to think is inappropriate given how shitty the war was. But hey, all war is shitty, so I don’t really have any issue with it myself. If anything, a game about WW1 might encourage people to learn more about the real events.

I guess people might argue that the trailer is trying to make it ‘look cool’, but then people didn’t seem to care too much about Valiant Hearts which turned the whole war into a dumb cartoon. And that ‘game’ was pretty pants. Eh, I’m starting to ramble now. Warhammer is under two weeks away and I’ve got a book to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.