Pages

Thursday 27 December 2018

The Clayton Awards 2018

Game of the Year 2018 – Yakuza Zero


There were some strong contenders for my GOTY, but I think there was always going to be one clear winner – Yakuza Zero. It knew when to be serious and when to be fun. It was a wild ride from beginning to end.

I began Yakuza Zero not sure if I’d like it, and the slow opening hours made me a little concerned. But once I’d got stuck into the game, I absolutely fell in love with it. It’s a game that really shouldn’t work – you’ve got a serious, fairly dark central story supported by absolutely wacky side content.

And yet, Yakuza Zero finds a way to balance everything perfectly. It’s an experience, that’s for sure. Overall, I couldn’t recommend Yakuza Zero more highly. It’s a wild ride, and more than worth the asking price for this PC release. Pick it up, you won’t be disappointed.’ (Full Review)

Most Disappointing Game of 2018 – Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series 

 
An easy choice, but I feel kind of bad about it considering Telltale folded this year. That said, it didn’t really come as a surprise when you look at the quantity of their output and how the quality suffered as a result.

‘With the GoT licence, Telltale had an opportunity to deliver their most ambitious title yet, but instead delivered a title that doesn’t even try. It’s a step back from their previous work – both graphically, technically and narratively – when it should have been a step forward.

As I said, it’s not a terrible game. The story and characters are decent enough to see you through – even if it does often feel like someone’s mediocre fan fiction. Overall, it’s a disappointing title. It’s lazy, shoddy and should have been so much better.’ (Full Review)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.