Pages

Sunday 28 May 2023

Now Playing: Metroid Prime Remastered

I played Metroid Prime when it originally released on the GameCube in 2003. I also played Prime 2 (also GC) and Prime 3 (Wii), although I don’t believe I actually finished 3. I don’t recall enjoying it as much as the previous games. That said, it’s been such a long time I don’t really remember much about these games at all and they’ve been on my ‘must play again’ list for years but I’ve just not gotten around to them.

But then they announced Metroid Prime Remastered which I wasn’t initially sure if I wanted to pick up given I still had the GC version sitting on my shelf, but with a very fair RRP and the prospect of playing the game with enhanced visuals and modernised controls, I figured if I was going to replay Metroid Prime, this would probably be the best way to do so.

As a remaster, I’d say Metroid Prime Remastered is a perfect example of how to do it right. The core game remains exactly as it was. They haven’t tried to ‘modernise’ the experience. There is, however, a choice between an original control scheme (sort of – it’s not like you’re actually playing with a GC pad) or a modern control scheme, which is how I chose to play.

The visuals are enhanced in high definition and honestly, it’s one of those moments where it’s such a good update that it kind of tricks you into thinking the original looked just as good . . . until you check out some videos of the original and remind yourself how drab and flat a lot of the environments look compared to the remaster.


I’d say the lighting is the most noticeable difference between the two visually. They did a fantastic job updating it, yet retaining the ‘feel’ of the original game. This remaster also runs flawlessly with no technical issues or bugs which doesn’t feel like something you can say very often these days although I won’t be giving it bonus points for doing so.

Okay, so as a remaster, this is a very good one. I guess the question now is: how does Metroid Prime as a game feel to play 20 years (oh god, I’m getting f**king old) after its original release? The answer, perhaps unsurprisingly, is that it’s still a fantastic and enjoyable game. It’s one of those few games that should really be studied by developers now and in the future for a perfect example of level design, player progression and gameplay pacing.

It’s kind of funny how unique Metroid Prime still feels to play, even today. It’s a first person shooter but it’s really focused on exploration and puzzles more so than shooting. In fact, the combat aspect of Metroid Prime is easily its weakest component. I think that was true at release and I’d say it’s even more true now.


The combat is . . . fine, at best. It’s not bad, but it’s never really engaging or exciting. There’s a good selection of enemy types and I do appreciate how the game mixes up enemies with specific weaknesses and gives you the ability to combine various weapons (such as freezing an enemy and then shattering them with a missile – although this actually works for pretty much everything and will likely be your go to combo of choice once you unlock the ice beam).

The boss fights are fine but nothing special. The last boss is a bit of a grind to get through. I guess the problem is that there’s nothing very clever about any of the boss fights which feels kind of weird when the game is so cleverly designed in every other way.

The level design, the way you unlock each new area in turn which leads to new weapons and equipment which then unlocks new pathways and new secret areas . . . and then new skills that open more. It’s tried and it’s tested game design but few – if any – games have done it as perfectly as Metroid Prime.


But the combat just isn’t as smart. Most fights take place in fairly small areas so there’s not a great deal of room to manoeuvre and honestly, most fights I just stood still and tanked the damage because it was just easier that way. So yeah, if there’s one aspect of Metroid Prime that’s kind of weak – both at release and even more so today – I’d say it’s the combat and boss fights.

The exploration though is great. The way areas evolve as you progress and unlock new abilities giving you new pathways and shortcuts for when you have to backtrack – which isn’t actually as often as I’d feared. The game is always pushing you in new directions. You’re always unlocking cool things that unlock more cool things.

And every time you stop and think there might be something hidden nearby, there nearly always is. I finished the game in about 12 hours with an 80% item completion rate, so I didn’t find everything and I’m honestly kind of amazed by that because I thought I’d been pretty thorough. But the thing is, you don’t need everything. But you try to find it purely because it’s fun.


The game does have a ‘nudge’ system (which you can turn off) to point you to your next objective, but for the most part, the game trusts that you’ll be able to figure things out on your own and find your own way. And you can, thanks to that perfect level design that uses subtle direction to push you onto the correct path, but not in a way that ever feels like you’re being railroaded down a linear track.

Overall, Metroid Prime Remastered is a very easy game to recommended for both new and old players. It’s a great example of how to do a remaster right, and the game itself still provides a very unique and enjoyable experience.

But I’m also going to be a little harsher on it than some other reviews I’ve seen because I do think the combat aspect of the game which, although certainly not the focus, is still a significant part of the experience and it was – and remains – its weakest component. And for me, that does drag the score down. That said, it’s still an excellent title and one I’d happily recommend.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.