Pages

Friday 26 January 2024

X-Box Developer Direct 2024

This Developer Direct was a nice little surprise so I thought I’d share my thoughts on it. First of all, doing a show that is a combination of gameplay footage alongside dev interviews and insights into the ongoing development process is nice. I like it. We need more stuff like this. Those peeks behind the scenes are neat.

But what about the games shown? Avowed is a game I really want to like but I hate to say it, I thought the overall presentation here wasn’t great. Or, at least, it simply wasn’t as good as the others I’ll be discussing. For one, the gameplay footage seemed low resolution and washed out. But I did later see some other footage that was much sharper and in better quality.

The environments look fantastic – particularly the lighting. The combat seems . . . fine? Is that enough? I’d say yes, if they nail the story and characters. Because for me, Avowed will not live and die on its visuals or its combat, but on how good the story and characters are. Because the last Obsidian game I played – The Outer Worlds – was . . . well, let’s just say I wasn’t a fan.

The problem with this Direct was that it didn’t really give me a good sense of the story, world or characters. I know it’s based in the Pillars of Eternity universe, but I’ve not played those. I think I have them on Epic though, so maybe I should give them a spin if I can find the time. So I’m kind of on the fence with Avowed. I’d guess I’d say I’m cautiously optimistic.

And then we have Hellblade 2 which is one of the best looking games I’ve seen. This presentation was easily the best with a short, but fairly comprehensive look at the game and behind the scenes insights. I thought the first Hellblade was fantastic so I’m really looking forward to the sequel.

I’ve seen some disappointment that it’s not a more ‘expansive’ game and I do get that to a degree, but overall, I think if Hellblade 2 can offer the same level of engaging story the original did, whilst also improving upon the flaws of the original – puzzles, enemy variety and combat depth – then it really could be something very special. I guess my only reservation is that I never really saw Hellblade as a game that needed a sequel, but what I’ve seen so far of Hellblade 2 has won me over.

And finally we have Indiana Jones and the Great Circle which, given the developers, I fully expected to be in first person and yet a lot of other people seem surprised? Disappointed, even? I think it’s because people just think an Indiana Jones game would have to be third person. It would have to be like Tomb Raider or Uncharted because that’s just how those games are so how could it be anything different?

Thank f**k it’s not, is all I can say. I’ve played those games and I want something new. And the trailer for this looked great. I think what really impressed me was the tone. They really captured that classic Indiana Jones tone of adventure, wit, action, danger and excitement. It’s something that the more recent films just didn’t capture at all. I guess I’m still a little wary because I wasn’t a fan of The New Order – I know I’m in the minority on that one – but this looks really good.

Overall, 2024 is shaping up to be a great year for X-Box or Xbox (?) as I keep seeing it written now? When did that happen? Or was it always written like that?! Am I going insane?! I don’t own an X-Box though but thankfully Microsoft put everything on PC day 1 and if these games turn out as good as I hope I’ll be happy to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.