Pages

Tuesday 12 January 2016

Suburban Killbot YouTube Channel

I had my internet upgraded last year, which was nice. It meant I no longer had to wait 10-20 hours for a single game to download. It also meant I was finally able to upload videos. I wasn’t quite sure what sort of videos I should do. Initially I thought about doing video reviews to accompany my written reviews, but I don’t have a fancy microphone or editing software and it seemed like an awful lot of effort for something that just wasn’t worth the hassle.

Instead, I figured I’d just upload raw gameplay footage. No fancy editing or commentary, just pure gameplay. I know when I want to see a new game in action, I like to just watch raw footage of it without people talking over it or describing everything they’re doing. So I thought, why not do just that? It’s also a lot easier and requires far less effort. I just hit a button, record my footage and upload.


I use NVIDIA ShadowPlay to record, which isn’t the best in terms of quality, but it works with everything I’ve tried, keeps the file size fairly low and is nice and simple to use. Due to a limitation with Windows 7, it splits recordings at a certain size, which means I have to use the YouTube video editor to combine and process each part into a complete video. This further reduces the quality even compared to a regular upload, but there’s not a lot I can do about that.

I’ve currently got three playlists of videos on the go with a new one starting soon. I’m not going to adhere to any kind of upload schedule or anything like that. I’ll just post stuff as and when I have it/feel like it. And I won’t post everything I record, only the stuff I think is interesting to watch for one reason or another.

I haven’t monetised any of my videos because that’s another hassle I don’t need. Like my blog is ad free, I don’t want to start worrying about this channel as some sort of revenue stream. Playing, writing about and now posting videos of games I enjoy is my hobby and I’d rather it stay that way. After all, I already have a career. Maybe not a particularly successful career, but maybe things will turn around this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.