Pages

Friday 13 December 2019

Now Watching: They Live

Over the years, I’ve seen most but not all of John Carpenter’s films and a couple of them – The Thing (1982) and Big Trouble in Little China (1986) – are two of my favourite films ever. But I’d never seen They Live (1988) until recently.

They Live is a science-fiction film that focuses on John Nada (Roddy Piper), a drifter who stumbles upon a global conspiracy involving alien invaders and subliminal messages. It may seem silly not wanting to spoil the plot of a film released 30 years ago, but I think They Live is best enjoyed if you go in not knowing exactly what to expect. That’s how I viewed it, at least, and I’m glad I did, so that’s why I’m going to keep this review short and light on details.

I think the film is best described as ‘short and punchy’. In an age where very movie seems to be at least 2 hours, They Live is refreshingly trim and tidy. It gets off to a deliberately slow start as we’re introduced to Nada who, despite his less than fortunate circumstances, still has faith and hope within society and the ‘system’. He’s a simple man who just wants to earn an honest wage, and if people would just give him a shot, he’ll repay them in turn.

But of course, his belief in society and the system is soon shook and crumbles as he discovers that the world isn’t quite what it appears. Nada, as our hero, is reminiscent of the blue-collar heroes of The Thing and Big Trouble – they’re just guys trying to make a buck who get caught up in something much bigger.

As I said, it’s best not to know too much going in so you can figure out what’s going on alongside Nada. And that’s when the film really picks up pace, as Nada practically bulldozes his way forward. There’s not much in the way of elaborate planning to his actions – he just reacts and lashes out at the world he has now discovered is a lie – a world he previously had faith in. There’s nothing subtle about Nada but his direct action is certainly effective.

Overall, They Live has become another Carpenter favourite for me and it’s something I’d highly recommend. With a combination of stunts and practical effects, it still looks great today. And I think more importantly, the themes it explores are just as relevant now – if not more so – than they were at release, particularly in this social media obsessed age.

If you’re a fan of science-fiction, of mystery and action – because there’s also plenty of that – then be sure to check out They Live. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.