Pages

Friday 27 December 2019

Now Playing: FORM & Twilight Path (VR)

I purchased FORM and Twilight Path in a bundle deal, so I figured I’d review them together. They’re VR puzzle games, developed by Charm Games. In terms of tone, story and visuals they’re both very unique, but they share much in common mechanically.

Each game is pretty short – an hour or so for FORM, an hour twenty for Twilight Path – but it depends upon how quickly you solve the puzzles, or how often you take a moment to appreciate the VR environments. There’s not much immediate replay value to either game, although I’m sure I’ll play through them again in the future.


That said, they do serve as rather good VR demonstrations. Their short length, ease of progression and simple, intuitive gameplay all serve to promote both games as great ‘entry’ style VR experiences.

In FORM, you play as a scientist investigating a mysterious monolith, whereas in Twilight Path, you play as someone transported into a spirit realm who must find their way home. Both games are very impressive visually. FORM is dark and (initially) oppressive, whereas Twilight Path is bright and colourful. They’re easily two of the most immersive and visually striking VR experiences I’ve played.


Considering these are obviously not high budget games, the level of production quality in terms of visuals, sound, VA and technical stability is very impressive. By keeping the games short, the developers have been able to deliver two very well crafted VR experiences that punch above their weight in terms of development cost.

They also do a good job of keeping the puzzles varied, with no single puzzle mechanic outstaying its welcome or becoming too repetitive. The games mix things up as you progress, introducing new mechanics to keep things fresh and engaging. I do wish, however, that the puzzles had grown in complexity – there’s no real challenge to solving puzzles in either game. You never really need to take a step back and consider how to proceed, followed by that wonderful eureka! moment when you hit upon the solution.


If I had to choose between FORM and Twilight Path, I’d say I enjoyed Twilight Path more. There’s more variety to the game in terms of visuals, characters and mechanics. Whereas FORM is a more isolated experience, simply moving you from one puzzle onto the next, Twilight Path offers a more expansive, narrative based experience. There are characters with whom you interact, and a story with more direction.

Overall, I’m glad I purchased both games, but I’m also glad I got them in a bundle deal – these are games I’d certainly recommend if you have a VR system, but I’d also recommend them on sale. I know Charm Games are working on a sequel to Twilight Path and I hope that they can build upon what they’ve already achieved and deliver a more substantial VR experience, with a little more challenge and complexity.

FORM – 6/10 Twilight Path – 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.